Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Get Rich – Get Real

Farrah Gray (born 1984) became, so it is claimed, an entrepreneurial millionaire at the tender age of 14, the ultimate American rags to riches success story, little wonder boy. Gray, with how-to book churner Fran Harris, is author of Reallionaire : Nine Steps to Becoming Rich from the Inside Out. Gray is now a 21 y/o Las Vegas real estate investor and motivational speaker.

The story goes that Farrah began wealth building at age 6 when he sold body lotion door to door. (He combined bottles of his mama's leftover lotions and sold it in his Chicago housing project.) He earned $50 or $9 with this venture, depending which version you read, and took his family out to a lobster dinner; "the big ghetto meal" according to Mr. Gray. It's been a while since I spent time in south Chicago but lobster was never the big ghetto meal – it was r-i-b-s, spare ribs, rib tips, baby back ribs, beef ribs, pork ribs, dry rub, mustard rub, Red Devil rub, grilled, smoked, barbecued.

Some stories begin with the ashy young Gray stating "I sold body lotion for $1.50 from door to door. In our house, we never had a full bottle of lotion. I got out of the shower one day and I was walking around and I found these different bottles of lotion. I mixed them all together and I called it First Impressions. I made $9."

At age 7 or 8 (depending on the story) he began carrying homemade business cards stating "21st Century CEO." Some claim his mama took him to a "how-to seminar" where he met and impressed someone, and some stories claim he had two Big Brother mentors, John W. Callaci and Roi Tauer (depending on the story). I can't find anything on Callaci and Tauer that deals with the rise of Gray's star. At age 8 Gray became co-founder of Urban Neighborhood Enterprise Economic Club (UNEEC) on Chicago's Southside. I've no idea who exactly co-founded with him but UNEEC raised venture capital, at one point $300,000, from fundraising; seed money for one or more of Gray's business ventures. Nor is it clear how Gray "grew up" in the Chicago projects when he was so prosperous before he grew up.

Between age 12 and 16, Gray founded FarrOut Foods, a specialty foods company catering to young people, beginning with a strawberry-maple syrup, a "we're too poor to buy syrup" recipe belonging to his grandmother. (He did not use leftovers in this venture.) "My grandmother used to make all of our syrup from scratch because we couldn’t afford it," he says. (I cook from scratch and find homemade more costly). In my day poor folks used sorghum molasses, syrup was not an option, and strawberries a luxury. FarrOut Foods was sold a year later making Gray a 14 or 15-year-old millionaire. Also during and/or shortly after this time he founded a radio show, pre-paid phone cards, a Las Vegas strip comedy show, a pre-paid MasterCard called goFarr, and various other ventures.

There's a story Gray began his fortune with a lemonade stand too, but I think this story may have been put out before the spinmasters had the spin straight, or it was confused with the kiddie entrepreneur who suggested a lemonade stand to the Farrah Gray Foundation, a venture capital fund that provides seed money to entrepreneurs under the age of 25.

Somewhere during his early years, press releases say age 6, some press never mention it, but Gray traveled with an older brother, Andre, to Europe and Asia. As the two brothers tell it, Andre acted as guardian and mentor because their mother, Paula Rushiddin, a single parent, was busy trying to make her way in the business world to support her five children. Brother Andre was a successful tradesman at the time, operating Export Now between 1988 and 1989. Some press reports Farrah's dad was in prison, but Andre credits their parents as motivating them to get out of the ghetto. Maybe there is more than one dad, but at any rate, it's not often a 6 y/o child of poverty from the projects gets to tour and chit-chat with Asian and European businessmen.

I'm acquainted with a Black millionaire or two and other affluents, none becoming millionaires at 14 or 15 but successful despite their late starts in the world of business. Their products were not leftover lotions or syrup but in the IT field, restaurants, professors, attorneys, etc. They also had one or more : financial backers, affirmative action, higher education, and/or minority contracting. For those unaware, many white businessmen, after exhausting government money for female relatives in the "woman as minority" affirmative action status, will seek Black front persons for government funds. Talented Blacks of course, but fronts nonetheless. Somewhere behind little Gray's "staggering" phenomenal rags to riches story are men/women who worked the system, most likely using minority youth government grant programs; with the Grays movin' on up to the penthouse in the Las Vegas sky.

Thanks but no thanks Mr. How-to Get Rich With the Inner Self. I'll hold other Blacks up as role models to my grandchildren. Dick Gregory, Matthew Henson, Adam Clayton Powell, Julian Bond, Andrew Young, Malcolm X, MLK, Ruby & Ossie Davis, Mae Jemison, hundreds and hundreds of truly self-made men and women, many who never became millionaires.

I watched an interview of Gray and he is quite the snake-oil salesman, a hustler of smooth talk, pimping how-to language as in : "There is no such thing as luck. There is hard work and determination. The power is really within you. Find your area of excellence and believe in yourself even if no one else will." Sound advice, but the same old positive thinking how-to remix.

Let's be real – Gray was not a pre-pubescent entrepreneur who succeeded by hard work and determination, no matter how often his Las Vegas backers say so. We're served up prepackaged success stories like this ever so often; pabulum for the poor, hope for the little guy, temporary inspiration from prominently marketed peddlers – assuring you luck has nothing to do with it, hard work and faith will lift you from the ghetto, the trailer park, the bottom rung – just yoke those bootstraps around whatever is in you and you can do it, in 9 steps. Marketing anyone can get rich against the odds - it sells, usually to the same no-such-thing-as-luck believers who spend rent money on lottery tickets. Gray is no more than those infomercials promising perfect skin, perfect vacuum cleaners, vitamins that heal, real estate secrets to personal fortunes.

The only real in Gray's reallionaire is it's another real phony how-to. And contrary to Farrah Gray's wisdom that "there is no such thing as luck," success, more often than we want to believe, can be attained by nothing more than hype and happenstance. For example, lucky little business boy George Bush becoming president, twice.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always get a kick out of Get Rich, Manage Your Money, Be Successful Now, etc. seminars. Obviously, it works for the speaker, lol, but shall we all give motivational inspiring seminars at $hundreds a pop? I don't think so.

Re syrup, we've always made our own - don't like the taste of the commercial stuff. I quit baking bread, tho', when we left Bush AK.

And speaking of 'Bush', Dubya was a lousy biz-man, too. But with his family, connections, and managers, he simply could not fail...

XYBØRG said...

"I'll hold other Blacks up as role models to my grandchildren. Dick Gregory, Matthew Henson, Adam Clayton Powell, Julian Bond, Andrew Young, Malcolm X, MLK, Ruby & Ossie Davis, Mae Jemison, hundreds and hundreds of truly self-made men and women, many who never became millionaires."

Blah, blah, blah...

I almost don't know where to begin with yet another one of your tsunamis of cynical sewage. That list of Black heroes you cited would look upon Gray as every inch the role model to which adolescent, gang-banging, death-dealing Black delinquents should aspire to. Just listen to their own sermons if you doubt. Such defeatist, conspiratorial nonsense you spout.

I do wonder what YOU were doing at the age of seven with a life that has since turned so bitter and wasted.

(I'm probably not presuming too much to assume that this diatribe was prompted by a recent video blog you may have recently chanced upon. How sad.)

Anonymous said...

Dear Kateakatea,

I just read your blog about Farrah Gray.

Obviously you don't know Farrah Gray, but I can't understand why you are so bitter about his achievements.
I am not sure why you have such a negative attitude, especially about something you are so uniformed about.

I know, first hand, many millionaires, black and otherwise, but that does not qualify me to make the kind of statements you find you can. I know Farrah Gray and he earned his credentials ans admiration. He is a genuine and positive role model and I wish there were more like him in this world.

I would rather you have a positive attitude and contribute that to society. I am sorry your experience in life has left with such venom on you lips. I suggest you channel your energy to be a good person and make those grandchildren proud of you.

Stay well, be happy,

Roi Tauer
Mentor

Kate-A said...

Perhaps Farr-Out Friends in Chicago & Israel are doing "laundry."

Anonymous said...

sounds to me like a lot you guys are bitter at this young mans realization of his dreams at a young age. Rather than sitting there bashing this self made millionaire, to make yourselves feel better in your thankless jobs, maybe you should try thinking how you can achieve and become wealthy too of the mind and pocket. As as 21 year old black property investor in the uk portfolio of (£2million +) and rising, i can honestly say those sort of attitudes will see you finish your lives achieving nothing and being financially unstable. It's intriguing how flaws are made in the arugment as to how this guys wealth was created but the fact still remains overlooked...He became a millionaire at 14! Still is to this day, Im 21 turning 22 in June and I too am at that place and people like yourselves are the first ones to put me down and say its not possible. It is possible but not for you with such detrimental behaviour.

Carlos said...

I don't know if he is a fraud or not, I am just curious as to why he decided not to speak of his father the late Dr Khalid A Muhammad? Does anyone know? I mean I saw a video where he was sitting on a stage while his father was giving a speech.

Kate-A said...

Carlos
It could be his con game as the poor fatherless ghetto child from Chicago was not amenable to having it known he is the son of a former NOI militant.

Someone might have suggested Farrah(khan) Gray's money ventures were funding something more than his "role model" lifestyle.

Kate-A said...

P.S.
Back in '05 when I blogged this post, I had an email conversation with one of Gray's white "mentors" /spokesman who tried to convince me to retract what I was saying.

Think Like a Lady-Whatever That Means said...

Please contact me at rhonda@lovingme1st.com. I stumbled across your website today in search of something else. Please read my blog about this person, all of it is starting to look suspect.
http://www.redroom.com/blog/royalreader/our-publishing-nightmare-an-authors-lessons

Christina said...

I can't even remember how I stumbled across this man's name & story today, but I too was thinking there were too many holes in it as I searched for more information, though I was hesitant to be skeptical since I hadn't read his books or watched interviews. I'm happy to have found your blog post about it, it's EXACTLY what I was thinking ... these "pull yourself up by the bootstraps anybody can do it if they just try" stories are more dangerous than helpful for our youth. Interesting twist to the story with the comment left about the Isreali candy company. I know I'm commenting on really old comments here, but I must say that no matter how "ideal", a fabricated role model is not someone to hold up for our children to aspire to.

Anonymous said...

I think he is a fraud. he just doesn't seem real and just offers empty rhetoric. his book is highly praised on amazon but I think people just want the fairy tale he is selling

Anonymous said...

Apparently he really is a fraud. I found this post and it goes a little more into dissecting his bullshit: http://tooglamtogiveadamn.com/farrah-gray/

Anonymous said...

He's a bullshitter. His lies are easily and quickly debunked and anyone who believes his bullshit is a simpleton.
www.drfarrahgrey.com

Content © 2005-2020 by Kate/A.