Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Bookmarks

Three or four years ago my browser's "favorites" had so many bookmarks I had to create folders to manage them. Eventually most were dragged and dropped into the Rare Use folder. It was easy to spot the too far out for me crowd – Prison Planet, Jeff Rense, Sender Berl & Sons; places to visit when there was nothing else to read on a long winter night.

But other sites, WhatReallyHappened, DailyKos, BuzzFlash, SmirkingChimp, AntiWar, RawStory, Huffington Post, InformationClearingHouse, etc., hundreds of them, took a little longer to be exiled into the Rare Use folder. I'm better served for news at Ice Rocket or my local paper, Yokels & Redneck Daily News.

Today, in the sparsely populated world of wanting more than revelations of Libby or the crisis headline or the meme of the day, my favorites bookmark has dwindled to a tiny half dozen. The others having become insufferable, no more than an occasional skim over the headlines, to see what anti-neocon anti-Bush shills have on the menu.

I definitely pass up the comments at the sites, as they sound, you know, like middle school, where everyone is trying to impress everyone else that they are like so cool and whatever the discussion is they are so on it. And if you're not hot to trot for it, then you know, it's because you just don't get it.

My seldom used bookmarks, are predominantly sites which are now fond of touting poll numbers where not long ago polls were bogus (when polls supported the enemy Bush). The sites that keep the masses informed of Plame, latest leaks (little pee on yous), the goodness heroics of some Dem candidate or another, and other useless political trivia. Baffles me why anyone loiters in such places - but each to his/her own.

Some misguiding sites deliver news and opinions on how "we" can and must clean up the Democratic party. All silk sow ears and swines with purses of pearls or something like that. These sites are indicative of the "base" who consider themselves progressive, liberal, democratic, paleosomething, independent, carrying the banner for all mankind, etc. One site even has a "warm fuzzies" page, proof of being the highest trafficked weblog. If not for spring and the odor of my first lawn mowing, I might despair - as the aforementioned "warm fuzzies" prove how emotionally and intellectually pubescent the public.

Proof enough for me that "we" are going nowhere but the status quo, cheered on by weblogs and blog stars who are crashing gates and telling us what happened, as if any of we the serfdom have more than a passing clue to formulate but a few good guesses. Our news is too controlled to be otherwise.

And the sites which buzz about war on Iran – as I've stated more than once – war with Iran is not likely to happen. Look at a map of Iran, the oil fields, pipelines, the corporatocracy invested there, whose in whose pocket, yada yada.

And (yawn) those websites promoting impeachment, as if that will do us any good. We were so much better off after Richard Nixon, right? As if getting rid of Rumsfeld, Bush, Cheney and others will put us on the yellow brick road to utopia. I can overlook the young for such misguided pollyanna-ism but the old bloggers of Oz should know better. We need more than Toto and a democrat in the rose garden.

And finally Lord, please don't let either of the Cindys get arrested or harassed this week as it will clog the cable and blog arteries for days on end. By the way, whatever happened to the prophecy of Iranian oil bourse to crash the US dollar? Haven't seen that one around lately.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, Kate/A,

It's me, the oh so earnest and ranting one.

Good news. I'm mellow, and pretty much agree with this post.

Perhaps you've tried an good rss reader like bloglines or newsgator? Google has one too that I don't like much.

I agree about comments.

For a slightly different experience, may I suggess gather.com?

As to the question of whether this great tool called the world wide web is going to really facilitate any of us making change in the world, it does seem like the prospects aren't too bright at present.

Kate-A said...

bg,
thanks for those suggested links.

Yes, right now the www doesn't appear to be the facilitator so many thought it might. Or perhaps it will take longer than expected. By then of course we will likely have to pay-per-view or some such regulated taxed surcharged luxury fee.

Stay mellow.

Anonymous said...

Kate,

My own path mirrors yours; I have been paring down the sites that I visit, because the news even on the good sites like whatreallyhappened.com just doesn't seem to tell me anything new anymore. And a lot of it is just endless rehash with no apparent purpose .

I spend most time at a few financial news/analysis-oriented sites, as I believe that the "big one" is going to come via financial collapse of some sort, rather than from peasants in pitchforks, palace revolt, or terrorist attacks -- although TPTB may well order up another one to get us all foaming again.

Plus, Kate/A, of course.

Also, The Oil Drum (theoildrum.com) for really good discussion of Peak Oil and related topics. And there I have to disagree about comments to a blog; there are very good exchanges there. Very informative in practical ways.

Also, Kate, I am finding much similarity between what you have been writing and what Richard Oxman is doing over at www.oxtogrind.org. I highly recommend you take a look: very different form, but much overlap in content of ideas.

Finally, I wish I could share your optimistic view about Iran. Even though to attack is insane, they seem to be painting themselves rhetorically into a corner, and they're crazy enough to do it, if the right "buttons are pushed," if you know what I mean.

best,
A Friend

Kate-A said...

oxtogrind - I like that. Always looking for other blogs. Thanks.

Content © 2005-2020 by Kate/A.