Friday, August 22, 2008

Evangelical White Boy Bails

Cameron Strang "Why I Accepted and Then Declined to Pray at the DNC."

Strang is the young evangelical, Oral Roberts U grad, Florida based and founder of Relevant magazine - described as a hip/edgy mag for young Christian folks, and a member of Church in the Son, self-described as "... a church for people who don't like church."

A non-denominational, Church in the Son in Orlando, is where a 100 or so young adults in tank tops and flip-flops enjoy impassioned singing and pulsing lights and a conversational sermon from biblical passages, with clapping, crying and talk of God's "furious love."

"We don't get hung up on the trappings, the legalisms, the stuff that worries fundamentalists," Strang says.

In other words - religion for folks who don't want to strictly follow the traditional Christian teachings - you know, folks who would prefer the 10 commandments lighten up a little, who feel Jesus is Savior, but more a relaxed hip-hop homey than a stern legalist on the "stuff" that worries the older folks (some of whom may be clinging to god and guns). The new Jesus untrapped - more a populist, or "progressive" god with strobe lights and flip-flops for the 18-34 age group.

Cameron is/was part of the Obama camp's outreach to prove Obama's Christian credentials. Previously, Cameron and his dad, Steven Strang (founder of Charisma mag) accepted an off-the record meeting with Obama.

Cameron: A few weeks ago, I was asked if I’d be interested in possibly praying at the Democratic National Convention. Taken aback, but intrigued at the opportunity, I accepted. Then I found out the invocation was to be on the main stage, opening night of the DNC. Part of the national broadcast. Most people would jump at such an exposure opportunity, but it gave me serious pause. Through Relevant I reach a demographic that has strong faith, morals and passion, but disagreements politically. It wouldn’t be wise for me to be seen as picking a political side, when I’ve consistently said both sides are right in some areas and wrong in some areas. (And truth be told, I haven’t yet made up my mind about who I’m going to vote for this November. There are a lot of specifics I’d like to hear the candidates talk about before my decision will be made.)

Strang says most people would jump at the exposure op but it gave him serious pause. Uh, please. LOL. You did jump goofball and then had to decline - there was no pause, serious or otherwise, anywhere.

I don't really believe people when they say they "haven't made their decision" yet, especially at this late date when candidates have been campaigning for 2+ years. But doesn't it make one sound thoughtful and wise to pretend they are still contemplating and weighing the issues?

Truth be told, I bet daddy Strang thumped Cameron on the head over this one.

No comments:

Content © 2005-2020 by Kate/A.